There is so much information out there about how to eat for weight loss or for improving your health. It can be overwhelming. When I work with health coaching clients, I start with one simple idea: Instead of focusing on what not to eat, I tell them to add in more Good Stuff so that you begin to crowd out the Bad Stuff. The more healthy food you eat, the less room there is in your diet for unhealthy food.
So what’s the Good Stuff when it comes to food? My top pick is leafy green vegetables. Think spinach, kale, collards, Swiss chard, dark lettuces, parsley, etc.
Related post: Kale Chips for Picky Kids!
Most diets do not include enough greens—and in my opinion, you should aim to have greens with every meal. Learning to cook and eat greens is an essential and easy way to create good health. Greens help to develop healthy intestinal flora, strengthen the immune system, and boost your respiratory function. They are especially good for city dwellers who rarely see fields of green in open countryside. In Asian medicine, green is related to the liver, emotional stability, and creativity.
Nutritionally, greens are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, and vitamins A, C, E, and K. They are packed with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll, and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals.
Don’t worry—you don’t have to live on salads in order to eat enough greens! Here are five creative (and delicious!) ways to get your greens! And if you need more ideas, I recommend this book to my clients for information about and recipes using greens.
5 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
- Add greens to your breakfast. Try eggs with greens, a side of greens, or add greens to your smoothie. Stay tuned for my favorite green smoothie recipe, coming to this blog soon!
- Include greens in your lunch and dinner, even if it’s just chopped parsley on top of your fish.
- Enjoy steamed greens as an easy side dish. For flavor, add a little sea salt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar.
- Add greens to your sandwich. One of my go-to favorites is Ezekiel bread with peanut butter or almond butter and fresh greens. It’s surprisingly delicious!
- When you eat out, always order a leafy green salad. This may mean ordering an extra plate, which adds to the bill (#eatinghealthyisexpensive). I comfort myself with the notion that health care is expensive, and by spending money on healthy food, and I am instead investing in my health!
Whenever possible, choose organic greens. Experiment with new, seasonal varieties from the farmers market or grocery store. At the end of the day, before your evening meal, take stock of how many greens you have had. If you’ve come up short, add more greens to your dinner. The simple resolution to eat more greens will boost your health in the new year, without asking you to give anything up!
Boost Your Resolutions with Health Coaching
Want some help starting the New Year with a healthier lifestyle? Working with me as your health coach can be the difference between succeeding in your goals and having another year of failed resolutions. I recently hired a personal trainer, and I must say that I am working out way harder and more often than I would on my own!
This is the perfect time to partner with me to identify and achieve your health goals. I am offering 50% off my private health coaching services for the first five people who sign up between now and January 31st. My three-month program, normally priced at $1,500, includes one-on-one weekly phone sessions and email and phone support between sessions. This three-month program is $750 at the discounted rate. I also offer a one-month program for people who are curious about health coaching but not ready or able to commit to a longer program. Normally $500, this month-long program also includes weekly, one-on-one sessions, and is $250 at the discounted rate. Want to learn more? Contact me for a free 30-minute phone call where we will discuss your goals and whether health coaching is for you.
If you liked this post, sign up for our newsletter to be alerted when we publish new content like this!