In a word: yes. The Honest Company has some Good Stuff. I’d feel comfortable using most of the products in this line, but unfortunately, there are a couple that are Sneaky: I wouldn’t use Honest Hand Wash or Honest Dish Soap. Honest Auto Dishwasher Gel and Honest Laundry Detergent are questionable as they have undisclosed ingredients (see below).
I think Jessica Alba was coming from a sincere place when she created this company, and the website is more or less transparent, with a few vexing exceptions (see below).
Some people might not like the following:
- The diapers contain SAP (less than conventional brands, however).
- Some of their products contain the preservative sodium benzoate. I’m okay with this ingredient–it gets a 1 on Skin Deep.
- Some ingredients used don’t have any safety data available (sodium lauroyl oat amino acid, for instance).
- Honest Lotion contains potassium sorbate (Skin Deeps rates this a 3).
- Some products contain sodium lauryl glucose, which has very limited safety data and sounds an awful lot like sodium lauryl sulfate.
- SNEAKY: Honest Hand Wash contains phenoxyethanol and citral.
- MAYBE SNEAKY: Honest Laundry Detergent contains “100% biodegradable anionic coconut kernel-oil based surfactant” and the Honest Auto Dishwasher Gel contains “biodegradable low foam surfactant.” No one at the company can tell me any more detail about what these are, other than that they are “corn-based.” I’ve called several times.
- SNEAKY: Honest Dish Soap contains cocamidopropyl betaine, phenoxyethanol, andmethylisothiazolinone.
Bottom Line: This stuff is much better than anything conventional you will buy, and stacks up well against most natural brands. Avoid the dish soap and hand wash.
Posted in: Companies & Products