I’m not much of a product junky, but one of the perks of this job is that I get lots of samples! Most of these products are nice enough, but every once and a while I find something I truly love and incorporate into my regular skincare routine. Such was the case with Lumion.
Introducing Lumion Skincare
Last year, over a glass of rose with my friend Lisa Bonoff, she told me about a new product she was developing with her friend, Amy, and gave me some to try. It didn’t have a name back then, but Amy’s father—an entrepreneur with a passion for non-toxic living—had recently introduced Lisa to the magic that is electrolyzed oxygenated water, and Lisa was hooked.
Now, I’m excited to announce the official launch of Lumion, a skincare line that is at once super simple and also revolutionary. The ingredients list is short, and Lumion’s entire line consists of just two products: a mist and a serum.
What is the Secret in Lumion?
Both Lumion products are made mostly of electrolyzed oxygenated water, which is delivers oxygen to your skin and (unlike regular old water) actually increases hydration. The other ingredients in Lumion products are sodium chloride, hypochlorous acid, and hydrogen chloride, which are antibacterial and antiviral, protect against environmental contaminants, and slow the aging process by encouraging collagen production.
If you want to try Lumion, use code GIMME15 at checkout for 15% off your order.
Oh, and one more cool thing about Lumion: they give one dollar of every bottle sold to the The Lonely Whale Foundation.
Are Any of Lumion’s Ingredients Toxic?
I want to point out that latter two ingredients listed above are rated 2-3 by the Environmental Working Group. In general, I like products where none of the ingredients are rated higher than a 1, although in certain instances I disagree with the EWG’s assessment (such is the case with potassium sorbate, which you’ll find in lots of the products I recommend). The reason I make an exception for Lumion is that:
- No ingredients have any risk of being carcinogenic (which is always my biggest concern); the potential risk seems to be around allergenic properties.
- If you want a product—particularly an anti-aging product–that really DOES something for your skin, you need to go for more intense ingredients. When compared with anti-aging ingredients like retinol or alpha hydroxy acid, what’s in Lumion is benign.
- Lumion mist and serum aren’t products you’ll be using on babies or kids, and I’m always a little more lenient on products I use on myself instead of my sons.
My Nighttime Skincare Routine
- For cleansing, I use BeautyCounter’s Nourishing Cream Cleanser most nights, except twice a week when I use Acure’s Brightening Facial Scrub. When I am feeling exceptionally lazy, I just use Acure’s Cleansing Towlettes, which I have in my nightstand.
- Once I’m settled in bed, Kindle or remote in hand (yes, I have a TV in my bedroom!), I spray on Lumion Oxygen Mist and let that dry. (You can also spray the Lumion Oxygen Mist on your face throughout the day if your skin feels grimy or parched– it’s particularly nice after a workout).
- Next, I pat on Lumion’s Oxygen Serum. Sometimes, that’s my last step, but in the winter when my skin is especially dry I do one more thing…
- Finally, I slather on Farmaesthetics Nourishing Herbal Cream. Zzzzzzzzz….
I used to barely muster the energy to wash my face by the time I got both my kids to bed, cleaned up the dinner mess, tossed in some laundry, picked up a bunch of toys, responded to emails…you know how it goes! Giving into my laziness and putting all my skincare products on my nightstand has been a game-changer. Now I look forward to the ritual of applying all this Good Stuff to my face (okay, the TV in the bedroom doesn’t hurt!).
PS: When you use code GIMME15 to order Lumion, you get 15% off and I get a small commission. As always, the thoughts expressed in this review are my own. I accept offers to receive a kickback from companies whose products I use myself and whom I believe are Good Stuff because it allows me to continue to roll out the free content for all of you! Thanks for your support.